This is a quick dish; you can serve it in about 15 minutes. I prefer shrimp that has already been peeled and deveined, because I hate doing the work myself. The broccoli adds a delightful contrast – in flavor, texture, and color – to the shrimp. This recipe makes four servings that include about nine pieces of shrimp each.
5 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind, divided
½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1½ pounds medium to large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Boil the broccoli in water for about two minutes. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Drain the boiled broccoli and plunge it into the ice water immediately. Let it set until cool, then drain it. The broccoli will be tender crisp.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk half of each: lemon rind, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add in the shrimp in and toss.
4. Grease a rimmed baking sheet and arrange the shrimp mixture in a single layer. Bake for eight minutes.
5. In another large bowl, combine the red pepper flakes with the rest of the lemon rind, salt, and pepper. Add the boiled broccoli and toss to coat each piece. Serve hot.