I love watermelon salad, but this is very different. The sweetness of the watermelon contrasts with the olives and capers and the feta cheese accents that sweet flavor. This salad makes six servings and, as strange as it sounds, everyone will love it
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup capers, rinsed and dried
¼ cup additional olive oil
½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar Pepper to taste
5 cups watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup mint, julienned
½ cup fresh basil, julienned
⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup lightly toasted sliced almonds
1. Heat a small saucepan over high heat and add the two tablespoons olive oil. Add the capers and stir until they are crisp (one to three minutes).
2. Use a slotted spoon to remove the capers to a plate covered with paper towels.
3. In a large bowl, pour in the quarter cup of olive oil and add the olives, vinegar, and pepper. Mix to coat the olives.
4. Add the watermelon, mint, and basil, tossing to coat.
5. Sprinkle the feta cheese and almonds over the top and serve.